Sunday, February 16, 2014

¡Tenemos Amigos! (We have friends!)

So...this is exciting people, we have friends. Yesterday we went to breakfast with our lovely neighbors, Pepe and Meche, Pepe is 80 and Meche is a few years younger (a lady never reveals her age...and she is a lady). They are so very sweet. They only speak Spanish, but are very patient with me and my lack of Spanish speaking. Fortunately, I can understand about 60% of what they are talking about...so that's a bonus. (Hand gestures on their part increase this percentage by at least 30%).

When we returned home from a relaxing breakfast and tours of a few health clubs in our neighborhood, we found this on the door:


The sign was from our landlord and his wife. Andy told them it was my birthday on Friday. How sweet is that?!

Then our landlord, and friend, Jose Luis, presented me with these:


These are traditional Mexican flowers that are made out of the corn husks that are used for making tamales. How beautiful and practical! Again, how sweet?!




We then spent the rest of the day hanging out around the house. We had discussed going to Texas BBQ, the scene of our wheel debacle, to see a band that Andy really likes. (We take taxis at night now...see?! We learned our lesson about driving/parking at night. We are such smart cookies!) We texted Rebecca, the woman who organizes the expat meetings and maintains the website All About Puebla, to see if she and her lovely husband Pablo, would like to join us. They were wanting to stay closer to their home in Cholula...literally 5 minutes from our house.

They invited us to a restaurant and bar called Intro owned by their friend Angel. Check out their website here Intro. It has to be said, that I tried my first martini there and it was pretty damn good. It was a fusion of asian flavors...it smelled so sweet, but didn't taste that way at all. Sorry, no pictures, I didn't feel like hauling out the iPad for a night out. We chatted, enjoyed getting to know these two interesting people, and generally enjoyed ourselves.

After I had drank several glasses of wine, Andy beers, some mezcal sent over by the chef Angel, we had the. best. dessert. I. have. ever. had. Ever. Seriously. Ever. It was a layered cheesecake, with three different flavors stacked on top of each other, a light chocolate cookie crumble on top of a light meringue, topped with eatable flowers, and served in a small, painted pottery, planter pot. The instructions from the waiter was to stick the spoon all the way down to get all the flavors. To. Die. For. Again, no picture...but I might just have to got back with the iPad and have another one...just for the sake of getting a picture for you all. No, no, I'll do it...just for you guys. I mean, it might be hard for me, but I just love you all so much. Okay, okay, fine, I'll do it!

Then we went back to Rebecca and Pablo's apartment and met their cat Lucy. She is such a sociable cat...very cute and playful. It was nice to get a little cat time in. (I have to admit, I am missing Kit-Kat something fierce). I had mentioned during the night that there is something about moving that makes you really appreciate the little things. We have been so very fortunate to rent a fully furnished apartment, but there are a few things that were not provided...one being a potholder. Now you are thinking, "really?! A potholder? No big deal." But let me tell you...it's a big deal. While we were hanging out last night, Rebecca pulled out a potholder from a drawer and gave it to me.


Again, isn't that sweet?!

Now, I should say that I don't feel like getting presents from people is the basis of friendship, nor do I expect material things from my friends, but these small tokens of friendship really just struck me. We have been here less than two weeks, and already people are willing to take the time out of their day to let us know that they are thinking about us, that they are listening to the little things. That goes a long way in my book.

We are looking forward to many more hangouts, like the walk/run in the BEAUTIFUL park new our house (it really deserves it own blog post, so more about that coming soon) and fantastic breakfast with Rebecca and Pablo.


*It should be noted that Rebecca's website and blog, were some of the reasons that I felt good about our decision to move to Puebla.



2 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling a little more at home. Makes such a difference to have a sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, so glad you and Andy enjoyed the park and the cheesecake at Intro! It is divine, isn't it? We look forward to hanging out again soon.

    ReplyDelete